How-To (FAQ)

A-133 Audit

State of Wisconsin 2004-05 (see page 59, UW System)


What do these acronyms mean?

Annual Report

Current UW-Madison Annual Report


What are the differences between the basic types of awards?

Board of Directors

List of UW Board of Regents (see page 3 of UW System Annual Financial Report)


Timely processing of checks — State of Wisconsin Statutes mandate that revenue must be deposited at least once a week. This statute applies to unrestricted gift checks provided by sponsors/donors to departments and centers throughout CALS. Please provide gift checks to your department business office immediately upon receipt so they can be routed to CALS Research Division with an extramural transmittal form – the form must be completed and signed by the Principal Investigator and Department Chair. Please put into place procedures which will meet this statutory requirement.


How do I check for compliance in my research?

Confidentiality clauses in research agreements

The UW does allow confidentiality provisions in research agreements, though they must be carefully negotiated by Research and Sponsored Programs in order to adhere to state statutes and university rules. An example of a research agreement that includes confidentiality provisions might be where a company would like to have a proprietary product evaluated or tested, but does not want the formulation of the product to be disclosed publicly. Of course, the researchers would retain the right to publish their results, but the confidentiality of the formulation would be maintained for a certain period of time, as agreed to by the sponsor and the UW. The CALS Research Division can assist you with questions about proposed research agreements that contain confidentiality clauses or provisions. Please contact the Division for assistance by routing your proposed agreement or terms, along with a transmittal form signed by the PI and Department Chair. You may also want to contact the Division informally with questions before routing takes place. Ultimately, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will negotiate these clauses with the sponsor. If you have questions, please contact Irwin Goldman at

Data Digest

The UW-Madison Data Digest, published in March of each year by the office of Academic Planning and Institutional Resarch,  provides official numbers  on the major dimensions of the university, including students, faculty, staff, and budget. View current and past Data Digests.

Financial Reports

View current and past UW System Annual Financial Reports

Fixed Price Contracts and Agreements

Where can I find information on fixed price contracts and agreements?

Historical Overview

Where can I find a historical overview of the University of Wisconsin?


Jurisdiction of Law

Lead Time on Proposals

CALS Research Division remains committed to high standards in facilitating submission of proposals. To provide support to all faculty/staff, to be able to meet submission deadlines, and to better serve the CALS community, the Research Division has an established policy requiring proposal delivery one week prior to the agency deadline. Please plan ahead, keep us informed, and let us know how best we can assist you with your submissions.

CALS Lead Time Policy Document (PDF)

Participant Support

Information regarding Participant support / Scholarships / Support costs

Pay Plan Actions

How do I handle pay plan actions?

Program Codes

Information regarding program codes for 133 and 144 grants/gifts

Proposal Routing

All proposals (i.e., intents to submit, pre-proposals, full-proposals, revisions, renewals, continuations, supplements, subcontracting proposals, and the like) must route from the PI to their Department to CALS Research Division to RSP for review and approval prior to submission. RSP is the institutional authority delegated by the Board of Regents to submit proposals on behalf of PIs for the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Submissions without full campus approval are problematic and will not be supported.

Retroactive Salary Adjustments

How do I make adjustments?

Revenue Producing Activities (128 accounts)

Where is information regarding revenue producing activities?

Scholarship/Support Costs

Information regarding Participant support / Scholarships / Support costs

Tax Status

Is UW-Madison a 501(c)(3) organization?

Textbook Authorship Contracts

Textbook authorship effort is deemed part of the academic opportunity and responsibility of faculty members – this would be a significant publication one could add to their respective lists of accomplishments. A textbook authorship contract is not one to which the Board of Regents, University of Wisconsin System would be party. As a legal contract, the document will often delineate manuscript deadline dates, right to secure copyright, publication rights and license, and manuscript submission details; a contract would be directly between author and publisher. In regard to guidelines for reportable income on Outside Activities Reports, income from book royalties is NOT reportable. Once a text has been published and royalty payments are received, the recipient will NOT need to disclose this income on their Outside Activities Reports. Options for receiving or allocating royalty income include the following: (1.) Assign all rights to the UW Foundation. If this option is to be considered, one would first need to check with the publisher to discern their policy regarding assigning royalties, whether such should be done at time of contract signature or later, prior to text publication. Electing this option would remove this income from the individual’s personal income tax stream; BUT, it may create problems in managing future editions/revisions, or in publishing any portions of the work in other venues if desired. (2.) Accept royalties as agreed to under the publisher’s contract, and in turn donate the royalties to the UW Foundation. An individual’s taxed income may be offset by their deduction for charitable contribution. Individuals can work with the UW Foundation to establish a discretionary account with funds targeted to generally support their UW-Madison department or targeted specifically to a designated area of research; allocation of funds from such an account would need to be approved by an impartial party (CALS Dean-level review) or by a department chair. (3.) An individual may elect to retain royalties as personal income, which is absolutely acceptable.

UW Foundation Funds

How do I transfer UW Foundation funds to UW-Madison?

Comments are closed.