Research Division Mission
The mission of the CALS Research Division is to facilitate research in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. We also strive to help researchers meet compliance regulations and to foster the ethical stewardship of research funds and sponsor expectations.
The Research Division has administrative responsibility for all aspects of extramural research support in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. The Research Division is also home to the Wisconsin Agriculture Experiment Station and as such handles the administration of federal formula funds. On campus, the Research Division is the College’s liaison with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education and maintains responsibility for managing graduate training issues in the College. The Research Division also provides oversight for the statewide network of Agricultural Research Stations.
Research Division Goals
The CALS Research Division will strive to:
- Uphold ethical principles and sustain an environment of equality, integrity, and respect.
- Maintain a professional image and productive working relationships with our partners in CALS, across campus, and with our federal and non-federal sponsors.
- Establish consistent, efficient, effective, and accurate business practices that will ensure our accessibility and responsiveness to meet the needs of CALS PIs, Chairs, Administrators, Departments, and Centers.
- Promote and foster an environment of enthusiasm, collaboration, cooperation, and opportunity that will enable us to be proactive, flexible, and swift in addressing constantly evolving needs and policies.
- Communicate key information and messages in an effective and timely manner via eCALS (the College electronic newsletter), the Division website, and other pertinent communication methods.
- Develop tools and utilize technology to assist users with submissions, inquiries, data searches, and other needs related to research administration and grants management.
- Provide access to policies, procedures, guidelines, and related documentation that underscore the principles of responsible research administration and grants management.
- Empower staff by maintaining a positive working environment, fostering a team atmosphere, and facilitating knowledge-building opportunities, both internal and external.
- Provide training and mentoring opportunities in the areas of research administration, grants management, and related topics of interest to PIs, Chairs, Administrators, Departments, and Centers.
- Support campus Administrative Process Redesign efforts through evaluation of Division processes and procedures, with an emphasis on streamlining and value-added concepts.