OverviewBack to TopFunding support for graduate school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison largely takes the form of fellowships and traineeships. They are typically administered through a student’s respective Academic Program; therefore, inquiries about funding support should initially be addressed to the department.
Fellowship ProgramsBack to Top
CALS Fellowship Programs
- Wisconsin Distinguished Graduate Fellowships
CALS typically awards several Wisconsin Distinguished Graduate Fellowships each year. These fellowships are subject to a departmental nomination process that generally begins in December.
- Graduate Research Scholars Advanced Opportunity Fellowships (AOF)
AOF fellowships are awarded to graduate students representing minorities and under-represented groups. Graduate programs apply for AOF fellowships on behalf of students through the Graduate Research Scholars Program run jointly between CALS and the School of Medicine and Public Health.
UW-Madison Fellowship Programs
Selected programs of interest to CALS students are listed below; see the UW-Madison Office of Fellowships & Funding Resources site for additional opportunities.
- Dickie Fellowship
The Dickie Fellowship competition is open to Graduate students who are residents of Sauk County, WI and are enrolled in sciences, mathematics, or engineering studies.
- Knapp House
The Knapp House is a unique community of scholars founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership, and a breadth of ideas. Knapp House fellowships provide free housing and offer an exceptional opportunity for graduate students from diverse disciplines to live together, sharing research, culture and interests.
Federal Agency Fellowship Programs
- NIH Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Fellowships
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- NSF Post-Doctoral Fellowships
- NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (ESSF)
- USDA AFRI Fellowships Grant Program
- DOE Science Graduate Fellowship
- EPA STAR Graduate Fellowships
Note: Tuition funding for EPA STAR fellowships is distributed differently than for some other Federal programs. Please contact Becky Bound in the CALS Research Division (see staff directory) if you plan to apply for an EPA STAR fellowship
Non-Federal Agency Fellowship Programs
- American Heart Association Pre and Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Helen Hay Whitney Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Additional Fellowship ResourcesBack to Top
- CALS Non-Federal Funding Opportunities Database
On search form, set “Opportunity Type” dropdown menu to “Fellowship.”
- CALS Office of Graduate Studies & Professional Development Scholarships and Fellowships list
- UW-Madison Graduate School Office of Fellowships and Funding Resources